Monday, August 21, 2006

Singapore Slings and Arrows...

Hi guys,

Just a quick note for the moment, but I arrived in Singapore. Had a bit of an "interesting" couple of days, what with the ultimately fruitless attempt to get my camera bag (complete with charger and spare batteries) back before I left Fiji, being stuck in "Screaming Small Child Land" for 4.5 hours of joyous flight from Nadi-Brisbane, my usual near-total inability to sleep on aircraft, having to repack my bags in Darwin airport's check-in area due to not having noticed that Tiger Airways' baggage restriction is only 15kg, arriving at 6am to find Singapore just as hot and sticky as remembered, being unable to get a bed in my hostel until noon, and (with the air-con turned off in the dorm during the middle of the day) unable to sleep during the afternoon, heading out with an Irishman, an Aussie and a Kiwi to watch the first football matches of the season, and ending up (to top it all off) losing my mobile on Saturday night.

So it's been a long few days. Went hunting for my phone yesterday, but no luck, so looks like it's gone for good. Phone itself isn't that big a loss, but obviously lost all my mobile numbers etc, which is an arse. No point in replacing it out here, though, so I am now officially mobile-less until I get home. Yes, those of you used to getting occasional random text messages from me at odd hours due to the time difference, you are now safe.

Beyond that, not done much in Singapore so far except laundry, shopping (replacing camera stuff, and getting more shorts - my jeans are likely to be little or no use for the next couple of months) and spending much of yesterday arvo at Brewerkz, a Singaporean microbrewery. Yes, some things just don't change. Can heartily recommend their Hopback Ale, but that may partly have just been me swooning at having an actual hand-pumped cask-conditioned real ale for the first time in over a year.

So, that's where I am now. Planning to go to the Asian Civilisations Museum during the day today, and then maybe to the Night Safari (up by the zoo) this evening. And want to go see the "Battle Box" (British HQ during WWII) tomorrow, so I'm keeping myself busy. Probably head on over into Malaysia on Wednesday.

Hope you're all well! Take care and have fun,

Pat

PS Nobody mention the Blackburn result, okay...?

Labels: , ,