Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a raining Men, Women, Cats, Dogs and the odd Capybara

Slightly less chilled day. Spent the first part of it trying to get sorted on a tour to go see various waterfalls in the area, eventually ended up on a tour which took in some of what I wanted, along with going out to an island and visiting a cachaca distillery - pineapple cachaca anyone? It was ok without being anything that special, although I did have fun getting French practice with a couple on the trip, whose first comment on hearing me go all Francophone was "You are an Englishman who speaks French? You are a secret agent!" Which is something I haven't been called before, but could obviously be worse.

The latter parts of the afternoon were largely ruled by the intense cloudbursts which hit town, putting large parts of the road network underwater and led to me eventually wading across town to send my previous e-mail - the end of the road our hostel was on was probably the worst underwater bit, but the old town, with its cobble-stoned streets, can get quite risky when it's wet underfoot. I had more of the comida por quilo for dinner (basically a self-service buffet where you pay by weight of what you eat - salads are thus A Good Thing both in terms of health and budget!) and then adjourned to a little internet place, where I stayed until the nice lady running the place kicked those of us in there out at 9pm.

Later in the evening, I ended up being persuaded (ok, it didn't take that much arm-twisting) to go into town for some caipirinhas with Nanna and her sister, whose name I keep having trouble getting right but I think it was Mette. We actually ended up back in the bar I'd been at a couple of nights earlier, inside this time, and watching a really good music DVD called (I think) "Ciudade de Samba", which is a kind of "Samba All Stars' Performance". We were met there by Nico, the Argentine lad from staff at the hostel, and thanks to his friendship with the barman, we actually got invited to a lock-in, but were all quite tired (and a wee bit drunk) and ended up declining the kind offer.