Saturday, June 18, 2005

More Serengeti photos

Vicky, Amy,Pat, Heetan and Jon. For those wondering, the strained expression is due to having got about 2 hours sleep the previous night...

This ugly beast, whose real name I can't recall, but I know it is known as the Undertaker Bird, was hanging around our lunch spot at the campsite on the Ngorongoro crater rim

A view from the rim down into the Ngorongoro Crater, and the alkaline lake in the middle of it

One of the "landies" in our little convoy, heading along the main track into Serengeti. Spending much of that trip hanging out the top of our vehicles accounted for a fair bit of our "Serengeti Tan" dust coating

A wildebeest. Somehow, I can never see these creatures without thinking of Spitting Image

One of my (many, many) pictures of sunset over the Serengeti Plain

(Cue many excited shouts of "Pumba!" from Lion King fans)

The best advert for not swimming in African rivers or ponds

The second-best advert for not swimming in African rivers or ponds (and the smell, which cannot be conveyed, is grotesque at this point)

Baboon

Yes, I had to get at least one obligatory photo of me in our trusty steed (one of the Land Cruisers, rather than a Land Rover, for much of this trip)

Part of the herd of zebras we came across at a water-hole. Some of them would stand still, while a few ran around the whole herd, making a noise somewhere between a bleat and a bark

Yes, this was what we'd been wating for for a while. Several big puddie tats, including the only big male I can recall us seeing.

Probably my favourite shot of a lion (or, in this case, a lioness)

This one's for those of you who may have thought I took all of these at Windsor Safari Park or something..

Labels: , , ,