Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm melting, I'm meeeeelting....

Hallo once more!

Well, my travels continue, through thick and thin, and I'm now in Malaysia. In absolutely no change from Singapore, the weather remains hazy, hot and stickier than a spillage in a glue factory. Hence, given my well-known discomfort in any remotely hot and humid weather, I spend the whole time feeling like I'm about to melt, apart from when I'm in Air-Con.

I'm also feeling utterly stuffed at the moment, having been out eating lots and lots of Satay - there's a place in Melaka (where I'm currently set up) which does a cross between satay (muchos peanut sauce) and Chinese steamboat cooking - you get a big bubbling pot of peanut sauce in the middle of the table, and various skewers of stuff that get stuck in it and cooked. Given that said skewers cost 50 sen each (half a Ringgit, or about 7p), it's oh so easy to get carried away and end up with a big pile of skewers on your tray. Not that I did that. Errrr....

Singapore ended up being quite good fun, I spent a good deal of Sunday afternoon in a microbrewery, then went to the Asian Civilisations Museum and the Night Safari on Monday, and did a walking tour around Little India on Tuesday (yesterday). The evening then turned into an impromptu game of Ring of Fire with a bunch of the other backpackers in the hostel, which all got a bit messy, and I apparently did my usual trick of falling asleep in my chair after I'd had a fair few beers. Only, on this occasion, some smart-alec decided to cover my hair in shaving foam, which then went everywhere when I woke up and scratched my head.

Today was spent largely on the buses, going from Singapore over the Causeway to Johore Bahru (JB), then on to Melaka, travelling with an American lad called John. After not meeting that many American backpackers (as opposed to tourists) before, I've now met quite a few in just the last couple of months. The poor boy's going to be a lawyer when he gets home, but I won't hold that against him...

At any rate, that's where I'm at now, and tomorrow night I will be taking the sleeper train up to Kota Bharu (right up in the northeast corner of peninsular Malaysia) from where I plan to go on to the Perhentian islands. So in less than two days' time I should be back in tropical island paradise country. Hurrah!

Hope you're all well! Take care and have fun,

Pat

Labels: , ,