Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How many Chivitos does one man need?

A bit of a wasted day. I had realised by this point that there really wasn't any need to stay an extra night in Colonia, as after looking around the old town there is pretty much sod-all else to do. Unfortunately, when I went down to the offices of Buquebus at the ferry port around lunchtime (I had accidentally overslept somewhat...) I found that they couldn't get me on a boat until 8:15 that evening, which offered little or no advantage over the 9:15am crossing the next day I already had. The internet connections in town were slow, and by the time I had done a circuit of pretty much every connection in town trying to find somewhere with a DVD-writer, my patience was wearing thin. Just to improve my mood, which was already somewhat flakey due to my having been monstered by bedbugs, the city was then hit by a fairly determined thunder-storm, at which point those of us in the hostel decided the only real option was to settle in for a heavy dose of DVD-watching.

The hostel had a pretty decent library of DVDs, of which we ended up watching No Country For Old Men (good, if somewhat black and gory, and the Texan accents could sometimes do with subtitles!), You Don't Mess With The Zohan (strong contender for silliest film I have ever seen) and Eagle vs Shark (a New Zealand indie film, but I couldn't watch it because there was a time-lag between the soundtrack and the pictures which messed with my head). After this, it was hostel dinner time (I didn't fancy braving the downpour in search of food) which was... chivitos. Just to be different. And then it was time for bed.