Thursday, March 05, 2009

Another dull day in transit

A horrible early start, a stumble through town to the Tur-Bus terminal, a few moments of regret at my level of appreciation of Chilean viticulture the previous night, and then pretty much a full day on the bus up to Santiago, during which I used up a fair part of my accumulated supply of reading matter. On arrival around 8pm, after almost 12 hours on the bus, I had only to navigate my way through Santiago's metro system, which was actually pretty easy, and then from the Baquedano metro stop to my hostel, which was slightly less so. There I was checked in by a very bubbly German named Juliana who happily informed me it was her first day at the job (bizarrely, I think the majority of the gringos I've met working in hostels have been Germans, now I come to think of it...), before I popped over to the nearby strip of bars and restaurants on Calle Pio Nono for a snack and then went back to the hostel to crash out.