Saturday, March 21, 2009

A happy ending to the 6 Nations

Another early departure, though for once prompted not by the bus timetables but by my determination to get back to the relatively large city of San Salvador de Jujuy in time for lunchtime so as to watch the final matches of the 6 Nations Rugby. The trip back down the gorge gave me various opportunities for further photo-taking, although trying to do so out of the window of a bus never gives the best results. We arrived in Jujuy without any problems, and I made my way over to my home for the night, the rather bizarrely-named Yok Wahi hostel. Once checked in there, I headed off into town and, although the first place the hostel receptionist had suggested wasn't showing anything beyond CNN when I got there, I found a little restaurant a few doors down where I persuaded them to set up the rugby on the screen, in exchange for which I had myself a final Argentine steak lunch and settled in to drink beer until I ran out of rugby.

Having cheered myself up immensely by watching England take the Calcutta Cup off Scotland (only mildly spoiled by the restaurant occasionally losing reception, the first time coinciding with England's opening try), I then got the extra delights of Wales v Ireland, and the last-minute drama that saw our cousins in green taking the Grand Slam for the first time in over 60 years. However, by this point I had also been drinking beer for around 4 hours in the middle of the day, so the next order of business was a much-needed siesta back at the hostel. Fortified with sleep, I headed back into the town centre to stock up on a few things like toiletries which I figured I might not have such a wide choice of up in the Andean countries, then spent a bit longer writing up these diaries before heading back for yet another early night - re-reading this, it's almost like I overcompensated for my exertions in Mendoza and Salta by going into my shell for a while.