Wednesday, August 30, 2006

More Malaysian Madness

Hello again,

Having returned from the island paradise of Pulau Perhentian to the joys of the big city (eg cheap internet), it's time for me to drop out another quick update.

Basically, I spent about 4 days on the beach.

For most people, that would seem a natural way to spend the holidays, but those of you who know me well will know that it's nigh-on unprecedented for me. The difference here would have to be the truly gorgeous nature of Long Beach, on Perhentian Kecil (small island), combined with meeting a fun crowd (or two) of people.

Only downside of my time there was that I basically wasted about a day and a half feeling rough as a wombat's bum after an ill-advised encounter with an omelette, but I was sensible (yes Mum, I know, it can happen sometimes) and kept myself out of trouble for a day or so and got through that. It did mean that I didn't get around to any of the snorkelling, kayaking and the like I'd planned to do, but I had a wonderful time there anyway.

I'm now in Kuala Lumpur (KL), ahead of National Day tomorrow, which should be a bit of an eye-opener. After that, the plan is to hit the Cameron Highlands and then Penang before heading into Thailand, where I may actually be in time for the Full Moon party at Ko Pha-Ngan. I know it's cheesey, touristy and everyone does it (and I don't even particularly like dance music...), but I figure if the schedule just about lines up then I'd be mad not to, and I'd been planning to spend some time on the island anyway.

I may have to get accommodation on Ko Samui and go over by boat for the festivities, though, as I'd be arriving too late to have any real chance of finding accommodation on the island itself for the party. I'm also under orders to try and catch up with a bunch of English girls I met on the Perhentians, who semi-adopted me as a kind of "elder brother" figure - they reckon it should be easy to find them, as they'll apparently have bright orange elephant hats on (complete with trunks). The mind boggles...

Anyways, that'll do for the moment. Hope all's well with all of you! Take care and have fun,

Pat

PS Zaz, I totally see what you mean about occasionally wanting a duvet on Malaysian coaches now! Overnight trip on one was an interesting experience.

Labels: , ,