Sunday, January 25, 2009

Enough of this Bus thing already

Another one of those days largely filed under "Bus". Got up, had brekkie, checked my stuff out of my dorm at Tucano, lounged around, chatted with people a bit, lounged around, went on the internet, popped into the village for a spot of lunch, grabbed my pack, went to the local bus stop. Waited a bit for a bus. And a bit more. One finally arrived, so headed off across the island to the Rodoviaria, thankful that I´d been prepared enough to leave time for this (easy to do when your coach only leaves at 1800). Waited around a bit more at the Rodoviaria once I had collected my ticket. Bumped into Ross, who I´d met on the journey from Parati to Floripa, and who was also on my bus again. Found out we would also be at the same hostel (which I´d recommended before) in Foz. Started to wonder if I am being stalked. Was re-assured that this is not the case.

Loooooong bus ride. 15 hours, with a large, middle-aged Brasilian lady with quite active elbows in the seat next to me and a small child with a propensity for kicking me in the back behind me. With the addition of a screaming baby and a broken-down air-con unit, this would have been a strong contender for Hell in bus form. As it was, merely Purgatory.