Monday, January 26, 2009

Knowing your limits is A Good Thing

Arrived in Foz, which is more agricultural and city-like and rather less jungly than I might have expected. Remind myself this is a city the size of Bristol, servicing one of the world´s biggest hydroelectric plants (Itaipu, owned jointly with Paraguay), so never really likely to be a little backwater in the rainforest. Ross and I managed to successfully navigate yet another local city bus system, and made our way to our home here in Foz, Hostel Bambu. This is new enough not to be in most guidebooks, but is quite nicely set up, and has the addedd bonuses of air-con in the dorms and a small pool out the back, which have both been absolute bliss given the high temperature and humidity here. I also took advantage of some anti-itching (possibly anti-hystamine or something) cream Ross had got, which appears to have finally drawn the itchy sting of the bites I got early in Floripa (which my memories of Africa are now informing me are probably sandfly bites) - as a result, I have forgiven him for any possible stalking and we´ve ended up hanging around the last couple of days.

Despite a brief consideration of going to see the Itaipu dam (I know, but we´re both sar Engineering types, so it´s kind of expected) we decided the effects of the heat, the tiredness from the long-distance bus journey and the fact it had somehow got to half past three without us noticing rendered this Not A Good Plan. So hammock time was very much the order of the day. In the evening, admittedly somewhat later than planned, we met up with Paola, my Italian friend from Ilha Grande, who was also in town, and went for a nice little dinner. In true Brasilian style, we ordered one main meal, which was designed to feed two and happily fed three of us, especially together with the (massive) plate of olives I ordered - for someone who was never that fond of things, I seem to be developing something of a fixation.